How to Avoid Scams from Unreliable Roofing Contractors
Roof replacements and roof repairs are typically expensive, so homeowners are eager to find the most economical solution. If you need a new roof and are trying to be budget-conscious about it, you might be at a higher risk of falling for a roofing contractor scam. A roofing scam is a promise for inexpensive or budget roof replacement, in return for a significant ‘down payment.’ Some scammers pose as roofing contractors and actually do complete roof repairs or roof replacements, but they use shoddy, low-quality materials.
Six Common Roof Replacement or Roof Repair Scams
You may get a call from someone claiming to be a roofing contractor, or they will leave their card on your door or in your mailbox. They may even knock on your door, and say they just happened to be driving by and noticed damage to your roof. They may offer to inspect your roof and will pressure you to sign a contract and/or make a down payment right then. Watch out for roofing contractors who:
- Demand payment in advance, before they even begin work.
- Ask for a large down payment and lay on the pressure to try to force your hand.
- Exaggerate the amount of damage done to your work so that they can overcharge you or overbill your insurance company.
- Lowball their bid so that you will choose them over legitimate roofing contractors.
- Cause further damage to your roof during your ‘free roofing inspection’ so that they can drive up the cost of roof repairs or roof replacement.
- Complete shoddy, substandard repairs that are rushed or use low-quality materials.
Shutting Down a Fake Roofing Contractor
The most important thing to remember when you think you might be dealing with a scammer is that you aren’t under any obligation to entertain their offers. You won’t be hurting their feelings if you tell them that you need some time to think and compare offers. A genuine, experienced roofing contractor will understand that homeowners don’t sign contracts or pay money on the spot, especially for unsolicited offers of roof repairs or a roof replacement. Always verify a roofing contractor’s license with your local Registrar of Contractors and investigate their reviews and ratings.
Schedule a Consultation with a Licensed Roofing Contractor in Belcamp, Maryland
At Harford Roofing Services, our experienced roofing contractors are licensed, bonded, and insured. We have a five-star rating on Google and strong ties to our Harford County community. Call us today at (443) 292-6020 for an onsite assessment, or request a quote online on our website.